Squads named for SA Sevens in Port Elizabeth
The final squads have been declared by all 16 teams set to compete in the third round of the HSBC Sevens World Series, the Cell C Nelson Mandela Bay SA Sevens, with South Africa, Kenya and England all recalling star names and Series leaders New Zealand making a late change.
Key South Africa Sevens playmaker Cecil Afrika has passed a fitness test and will take his place in Paul Treu's squad in his home town, Port Elizabeth.
Afrika's fitness is a massive boost for Treu, who is already without the services of captain, Kyle Brown, who suffered a broken leg in Dubai.
Afrika is one of two former IRB Sevens Players of the Year recalled for the tournament in PE with England's Ollie Phillips also proving his fitness. Teammate Dan Norton lines up in South Africa four tries short of 100 in his World Series career.
Series leaders New Zealand have been forced into a late change with new cap, 18-year-old Waikato player Luke Masirewa, flying in to replace Sherwin Stowers, who failed to recover from a hamstring injury picked up during last weekend's Dubai tournament.
Meanwhile, Kenya have called up former captain Humphrey Kayange as one of four replacements from Dubai as coach Mike Friday prepares to make do without two key flyers, Collins Injera and Oscar Ouma, as well as Sidney Ashioya and Biko Adema.
In other team news, Dubai champions Samoa will have to make do without their most potent attacking weapon last week, Paul Perez, who is ruled out with the injury he suffered in that final, in which he scored two first half tries.
Dubai Cup semi finalists France have been forced to replace the injured Julien Candelon with Douillard Baptiste.
Scotland hand a debut to Russell Weir and have wing James Fleming one try short of his 50th on the World Series.
Regional African qualifiers Zimbabwe hand debuts to Tipiwa Tsomondo and Garth Ziegler in an otherwise experienced squad.
- Australia humbled by visit to local orphanage »
- Former captain returns for Kenya Sevens »
- Sevens Social - Get involved with #SA7s »
- IRB confirms pool draw for SA Sevens in PE »
- Zimbabwe target redemption at SA Sevens »
- All Blacks Sevens bid for four in a row in SA »
- Starmers: Unpredictable Sevens heads to SA »
- SA Sevens: Pool profiles and form guide »
- Afrika boost for South Africa Sevens »
- SA Rugby target 80,000 Sevens fans in PE »
- SA Sevens: Watch on TV »
- The RFU »
- Welsh R.U. »
- Scottish R.U. »
- Fédération Française de Rugby »
- Australian R.U. »
- New Zealand R.F.U. »
- Rugby Canada »
- United States of America Rugby Football Union »
- Union Argentina de Rugby »
- Samoa Rugby Union »
- Federación Española de Rugby »
- Zimbabwe R.U. »
- Fiji R.U. »
- Federação Portuguesa de Rugby »
- South Africa Rugby Union »
- Kenya Rugby Football Union »